Terry Schiavo: a matter of life and death
It's not right that a Florida judge has been allowing Michael Schiavo to starve and dehydrate his wife to death -- especially with clear conflicts of interest.
We've signed this petition
asking FL governor Jeb Bush to intervene, and we urge you to consider doing what you can.
(Add to this list, "pray".)
Her feeding tube was removed as of Oct. 15, 2003 despite an amicus brief filed by FL Gov. Jeb Bush.
Very good news though, from a source unlooked for: The FL legislature
passed a bill on Tuesday Oct. 21 specifically to give Gov. Jeb Bush the authority to order Terri's feeding tube to be reinserted,
which he vows to do immediately. After six days of dehydration, we hope Terri's still OK, and we pray this reprieve will not be just
a stay of execution but the beginning of rescue. Also, to his credit, Judge Greer denied a motion by Terri's husband to block Gov. Bush's
order! And a final piece of good news: the case is finally getting significant media attention; on Oct. 21 it was the top story on
Gov. Bush deserves credit for having taken on this politically sensitive issue and advocated strongly for Terri.
- Oct. 31, 2003. Jay
Wolfson appointed as guardian despite objections
- Oct. 31, 2003.
Death, and Silence -
"Why the media elites won't tell the full story on
Terri's prognosis and Michael Schiavo." Excellent summary of why this
should be an open-and-shut case, if certain critical facts were not ignored.
- Oct. 27, 2003. Statement
from disability rights advocates
- Oct. 22, 2003. The Battle for Terri - in
spite of "Terri's Law" and the governor's order, Terri's enemies fought successfully for a while to keep her from rehydration. She is hydrated
now and her family has been allowed to see her.
- Oct. 22, 2003. Gov. Bush's order puts Schiavo back on fluids
- Oct. 16, 2003.
Feeding Tube Is Removed in Florida Right-to-Die Case - NY Times article
- Oct. 16, 2003. Re: Execution of Terri Schiavo is "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" - John B. Thompson, attorney
- Oct. 15, 2003. Re: Legal Authority of Governor Bush to Prevent the Imminent Death of Ms. Terri Schiavo - from the Thomas More Law Center.
- Oct. 15, 2003. A Right-to-Die Battle Enters Its Final Days
- NY Times article
- Oct. 13, 2003. My email to Judge Greer urging him to reconsider his judgment concerning Terri, in view of God's Word.
- Oct. 10, 2003. Federal judge says
Terri Schiavo must die: Rejects plea by disabled woman's parents to assume federal jurisdiction over the case.
- August 28, 2003. Attorney: Jeb Bush letter only a 'good first step' -
Florida judge dumps governor's plea for brain-disabled woman in file